Saturday, January 15, 2011

Gurudev Tells Story of Rama and Ahilya

You know the word, the name Ram: Three letters, R. A. M. This word sounds so simple, but with great power. Shiva said to Parvati, "Think Parvati, when I Sit in meditation the only name which is in my mind and in my consciousness is Rama, because this simple name can
liberate everyone. It can grant instant liberation...

There is in the Ramacharitamansa the story when Ram was crossing (the ocean) to Lanka to liberate Sita. Rama was a great king, a manifestation of Lord Vishnu and Sita was a manifestation of Lakshmi, who was abducted by the evil king, Ravana. Rama had to go and liberate Sita... His father (Ram's father) was married three times. One of the wives said to the father, "You have said to me whatever I ask of you, you will not refuse me". Ram was to be the king. One of the wives wanted her son, Bharat, to be king, but Bharat was younger. In the tradition, it is like that: all the sons take upon themselves the rule of the kingdom. So she (the wife of Ram's father) said to the king, "Grant me the wish that you promised me. I want your son to go into the forest for 14 years".

So he (Ram) went into the forest and as he was going in the forest there was a great saint called Ahilya. Ahilya was cursed to become a stone because Indra tested her, taking the appearance of her husband, but she didn't know about it. When her husband found out, he cursed her to become a stone, saying that, "Only the Lord will liberate you". So Ahilya was a big stone. As Rama was passing by the forest he came to that spot where the stone was lying and he touched with his feet the stone, and instantly the stone was removed. She turned back into her real form. In that moment, Ram said, "Ahilya, I would like to grant you a boon of blessing, ask me whatever you want. I will give it to you". Ahilya said, "My Lord, I have been waiting many lives here. For many centuries I have been waiting for this moment to attain that just the dust of your feet could touch me and liberate me. I don't ask for any boon. The only boon that I ask is that I never forget about your name. Even if I take a birth as a pig, may I always chant your name, because only your name can grant me liberation.

Why do you think in all religions they chant the name of God, recite the name of God?... Chant the name of the Lord so that you realize the unity between the Atma (soul) and the Paramatman (God). When you realize this unity between the Atma and the Paramatman, what will stay? Only the Paramatman will stay because the only reality of the Atma is the Paramatman. The only reality of the soul is God. Your soul wants to merge with and become one with God. It wants to attain his lotus feet. The one who has realized this will join. Just in the simple name Ram, it can be granted. -Sri Swami Vishwananda

Follow Mahavatar Babaji’s Contemporary Teachings:
Do you follow Babaji’s teachings through his book,Unity With The Divine, Atma Kriya Mahavatar Babaji Web Page, Babaji Ecards and Virtual-Babaji-Vishwananda Blog? You may want to “follow” him on Virtual Babaji @ virtualbabaji on Twitter.

Babaji says about this Twitter communication:
Herein we resonate with a modern way of communication called Twitter. Let us gather and present the knowledge and wisdom from the ages and guide you to it. We play with self-destructive fire in contemporary times with the environment, the family and the physical and spiritual evolution of each soul. Herein we provide links to my present-day work.
–Mahavatar Babaji

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you,Utpalavati,for the inspiring story. In my current AK-course just today we emphasized on the importance of chanting God`s name as often as possible.
Concerning our AK-practice i would like to ask Mahavatar Babaji why we focus during Nada Kriya on the right ear? The question repeatedly was asked by course participants.
JGD Ramayotee